Author Topic: RotoTimes Washington Nationals Preview  (Read 3467 times)

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
RotoTimes Washington Nationals Preview
« Topic Start: February 10, 2007, 07:47:35 PM »
Preview

Old School fans of the Washington Senators begged Major League Baseball for decades to give them their team back.  But like the saying goes, be careful what you wish for, or you'll surely get it.  While the new breed franchise is dubbed the Nationals, Washington baseball fans got a team that loses games just like the old Senators used to.  They've finished last in the NL East in their first two seasons, and they got 10 more games in 2006 than they got in 2005.  Manager Frank Robinson was let go, and third base coach Manny Acta was promoted to replace him.  Although much of the roster will return in 2007, Nationals fans will angrily remind you that the club didn't trade Alfonso Soriano when they had the chance, so they got nothing in return when he left as a free agent.  Jose Guillen also left, and Jose Vidro was traded for Chris Snelling and Emiliano Fruto.  The only other additions come from the inside, as Cristian Guzman returns from a shoulder injury, and the Nationals are praying that some of their young arms develop quickly.  If not, Ryan Zimmerman will be a lonely superstar for the next few years.

Battle For Jobs
About the only certainty in the Nationals starting rotation is that John Patterson is the best they've got.  Considering that he missed most of last season with an elbow injury that required surgery, it's clear that the rotation will be in a constant state of flux this season, but it's not clear what O'Connor has to offer following an inconsistant rookie season.  Youth and uncertainty really is the the theme here, as Billy Traber is a "veteran" with two years of experience and 26 starts under his belt.  He was 7-7 with a 4.05 ERA and 1.36 WHIP in 21 Triple-A starts last year and was far worse in the majors.  Beltran Perez posted better numbers (8-6, 3.11 ERA, 1.38 WHIP), but that was Double-A.  However, he had similar success in 21 big league innings (3.86 ERA, 1.38 WHIP).  Shawn Hill has yet to prove he is fully recovered from Tommy John surgery, and aside from a couple of shots of java with the Nats, he hasn't played above double-A either.  While these guys will benefit from the chasmal confines of their home ballpark, don't expect the moon.

Breakout Candidate

Considering Ryan Zimmerman led all rookies last season with 110 RBIs, it's hard to say that he hasn't already busted out.  But it wasn't a fluke that the fourth overall pick in the 2005 draft performed well, and he has the skills to actually improve.  To begin with, he hit .327 at home and only .245 on the road, so he has the ability tp i[ jos battomg average as he matures at the plate.  Interestingly, he hit exactly half of his 20 homers in Washington, despite playing in a huge stadium.  The 22-year-old third baseman is 6'3" and 210lbs, so it wouldn't be surprising for his home run totals to grow as he fills out his frame.  Zimmerman also was aggresive on the base paths last year, swiping double digit sacks (11), though it wasn't exactly an act of grace, since he was caught eight times.  At worst, Zimmerman should be a reliable option for batting average and power for years to come - and more should be in store as his game grows.

Trainer's Table

A sore elbow limited John Patterson to just eight starts in 2006.  He eventually underwent what turned out to be season-ending surgery in late July.  The good news is two fold, as the procedure revealed no structural damage in the joint, and he was nearly ready for game action by late September.  He should be 100 percent by spring training.  Nick Johnson is a tease, he performs so well when he's in the batter's box, but more ofthen than not, he's battling injuries.  He got in a career best 147 games last season before breaking his leg in a collision with teammate Austin Kearns.  He had surgery to repair a broken femur and a cleanup procedure later on.  He didn't have full mobility in the join by early January, and all signs point to him missing the first month or more of the season.  Meanwhile, Cristian Guzman didn't get in a single at-bat last season before undergoing surgery to repair a slap tear in this right shoulder.  He'll only be 29 when the season begins and was a workhorse before 2006, so it's possible he could return to full strength this season.  He's expected to start at shortstop.

Rookies

When the Nationals brought in Alfonso Soriano and moved him from second to outfield, they thought they had found their left fielder of the future.  Now, with Soriano out of the picture, they hope that man will be Kory Casto.  The 25-year-old started his pro career as an outfielder, then moved to third base, though he saw action at both spots last year.  With Ryan Zimmerman locking down the hot corner, the Nats are moving Casto back to the warning track to get his bat in the mix.  He was organization's 2005 Minor League Player of the Year after hitting .290 with 22 homers and 90 RBI at High-A Potomac.  Last year, at Double-A Harrisburg, Casto hit .272 with 20 homers and 80 RBI.  His lack of experience above double-A is why he's not a sure-bet to beat out Ryan Church for action in left this spring.  If he doesn't, he'll head to Triple-A until he's ready.  First basemen Larry Broadway was supposed to be the team's first baseman of the future, but Nick Johnson is entrenched there.  The future is about to pass by the 26-year-old Broadway, if he doesn't hurry up.  He's had up and down production in the minors, though he hit .288 with 15 homers and 78 RBI for Triple-A New Orleans last year.  Johnson is expected to miss the start of the season due to his broken leg, so a hot spring could put Broadway in the mix for at-bats.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
Re: RotoTimes Washington Nationals Preview
« Reply #1: February 10, 2007, 08:12:43 PM »
Another Preview from the 2007 Major League Baseball Yearbook...

The Nationals' roster has been in a constant state of flux since they arrived in DC, but their 2007 roster looks just as pourous and impotent as the alst few Expos teams.  GM Jim Bowden inexplicably held on to Alfonso Soriano last July, meaning his 40/40 production is gone with no compensation.  Nick Johnson, Austin Kearns, Felipe Lopez and Ryan Zimmerman can make up for some of Soriano's departed pop, but talk of Cristian Guzman returning from injury to receive playing time means the Nats will only play seven legitimate hitters at a time.  Despite playing in a spacious park, Nats' pitchers had the worst ERA in the NL and things could get even worse this year as the #2 through #5 spots in the rotation are up for grabs amon a slew of uninspiring young arms.  John Patterson is the ace, but he tallied only 40.7 innings in an injury-plauged season.  While the bullpen will get a boost from the return of Luis Ayala, the 6th and 7th inning guys are suspect on a good day.  The 2007 season in RFK Stadium promises to get as ugly as the park itself.

Managerial Strategy

Former Expos and Mets assistant Manny Acta saw the benefits of a strong running game firsthand in New York, so he will allow Lopez and Nook Logan, the team's only real SB threats, to run.  With potentially the worst bottom-third of the lineup in baseball, Acta will sacrifice the AB of his light hitters to set the table for the top of the order.  Washington's bullpen logged the third-most innings per game in the majors, and expect more of the same when Acta sees how terrible his starting staff is.  Starters will simply be asked to minimize the damage and eat innings when possible.

Spotlights

Breakout Player - Ryan Church: The departure of Frank Robinson should mean regular playing time for Church.  He's posted an 843 OPS over the past two seasons with 19 HR and 9 SB in 468 scattered ABs.  Church had a 955 OPS with 6 HR in 94 ABs at RFK, and burned NL East pitching for a 1006 OPS and 8 HR and 20 RBIs in 108 AB - whether in D.C. or elsewhere - he'll be an excellant sleeper this year.

Forget About Him - Alex Escobar: Escobar has the tools to be an everyday player, but his injuries have ruined his career thus far.  A torn labrum ended Escobar's 06 season early and he could miss time this spring.  He might be the odd man out of the Nats outfield with Church, Logan and Chris Snelling likely starting ahead of him even when he's at full health.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #2: February 10, 2007, 11:04:04 PM »
Preview

Old School fans of the Washington Senators begged Major League Baseball for a decades to give them their team back.  But like the saying goes, be careful what you wish for, or you'll surely get it.  While the new breed franchise is dubbed the Nationals, Washington baseball fans got a team that loses games just like the old Senators used to.  They've finished last in the NL East in their first two seasons, and they got 10 more games in 2006 than they got in 2005.  Manager Frank Robinson was let go, and third base coach Manny Acta was promoted to replace him.  Although much of the roster will return in 2007, Nationals fans will angrily remind you that the club didn't trade Alfonso Soriano when they had the chance, so they got nothing in return when he left as a free agent.  Jose Guillen also left, and Jose Vidro was traded for Chris Snelling and Emiliano Fruto.  The only other additions come from the inside, as Cristian Guzman returns from a shoulder injury, and the Nationals are praying that some of their young arms develop quickly.  If not, Ryan Zimmerman will be a lonely superstar for the next few years.

Wow. I have no issues with a pessimistic preview from baseball analysts, but the number of factual errors in that paragraph certainly makes the writer look sloppy to say the least.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #3: February 10, 2007, 11:07:09 PM »
Wow. I have no issues with a pessimistic preview from baseball analysts, but the number of factual errors in that paragraph certainly makes the writer look sloppy to say the least.
I'm looking for the errors...what did he say that was in error?

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #4: February 10, 2007, 11:33:46 PM »
Well, I guess one wasn't an error, where he said 10 more games in '06 because he was talking losses. But he said Manny Acta was the 3rd base coach promoted to replace Frank. He said they got nothing in return when Soriano left as a FA. It's true that technically Guillen left, but that was written as if the team wanted him back when it was clear they just wanted the compensation pick. Saying the only other additions came from the inside meaning Guzman is incorrect, when clearly they have brought in many new players to compete for spots.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #5: February 10, 2007, 11:39:30 PM »
Well, I guess one wasn't an error, where he said 10 more games in '06 because he was talking losses. But he said Manny Acta was the 3rd base coach promoted to replace Frank. He said they got nothing in return when Soriano left as a FA. It's true that technically Guillen left, but that was written as if the team wanted him back when it was clear they just wanted the compensation pick. Saying the only other additions came from the inside meaning Guzman is incorrect, when clearly they have brought in many new players to compete for spots.
Manny Acta WAS 3rd base coach the for New York Mets before coming here...we DIDN'T get anything for Soriano because Chicago did so poorly so they don't give up their pick...and all the other team additions ARE from inside the Nationals farm system.  Sorry Shoeshineboy.   :D

Offline vinnysmullet

« Reply #6: February 10, 2007, 11:45:13 PM »
I agree with Shoeshine Boy--RotoWorld's assessment is very sloppy. They say John Patterson missed much of the season with "an elbow injury that required surgery." Actually, there was nothing wrong with his elbow at all. After a midgame rain delay on a cold evening in April, he came back in to pitch and ended up with what he believed to be forearm strain. After rehabbing for that injury, he felt numbness in his fingers while pitching. It became clear that the real problem was a nerve impingement in his forearm. That is what he had surgery to correct.

I am writing from memory. One would think that a journalist writing for a living could actually research his or her subject and do better.

Also, I believe Shoeshine mentioned this, but Roto made it sound as though Manny Acta was promoted from within the organization, rather than hired through a rigorous search.

Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #7: February 10, 2007, 11:48:08 PM »
You can say it's as sloppy as you want to...but everything he wrote is actually the truth when it comes right down to it.  Forearm - elbow ok...but was he out due to an arm injury?  Yes...so let's get to the real issue that is the basis of the peice.  Nobody wants to confront the 500lb gorilla sitting in the living room.

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #8: February 10, 2007, 11:49:15 PM »
I know he was 3B for the Mets, but that was not the way it was written. It was written that he was promoted to replace Frank. If someone wasn't following the team, they would think he was promoted from within. Because Soriano was signed by the Cubs, we received their 2nd round pick and we get a sandwich pick. And while many of the guys that were brought in to compete for spots were signed to minor league deals, that's not the same thing as saying that they were being brought up from their the farm system. They haven't even been in it.

Offline vinnysmullet

« Reply #9: February 10, 2007, 11:51:24 PM »
Oh, and how about this ridiculous quotation: "Nationals fans will angrily remind you that the club didn't trade Alfonso Soriano when they had the chance."

Did Roto interview every Nationals fan? Take a survey?

Many intelligent fans believed that our GM was right not to trade Soriano unless the offer was good enough. Many were delighted to have Soriano for a whole season--his career season--and to have the opportunity to see him enter the 40-40 club on his (and OUR) home turf.

Intelligent fans (as many Nats fans are) understand the concept of a building year, understand the reasons for it, and can deal with it without bitterness.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #10: February 10, 2007, 11:52:20 PM »
we received their 2nd round pick and we get a sandwich pick.
Which amounts to absolutely nothing compared to what they could have gotten for him if they had made a deal - but that arguments a dead horse and I'm not attempting to revive it.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #11: February 10, 2007, 11:54:12 PM »
Oh, and how about this ridiculous quotation: "Nationals fans will angrily remind you that the club didn't trade Alfonso Soriano when they had the chance."

Did Roto interview every Nationals fan? Take a survey?

Many intelligent fans believed that our GM was right not to trade Soriano unless the offer was good enough. Many were delighted to have Soriano for a whole season--his career season--and to have the opportunity to see him enter the 40-40 club on his (and OUR) home turf.

Intelligent fans (as many Nats fans are) understand the concept of a building year, understand the reasons for it, and can deal with it without bitterness.
I'm not bitter - but you can count me in as one of those Nationals fans that is angry about the Soriano fiasco.  I can see you two are on the other side of that argument.  But like I said, I'll let sleeping dogs lay.

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #12: February 10, 2007, 11:57:32 PM »
You can say it's as sloppy as you want to...but everything he wrote is actually the truth when it comes right down to it.  Forearm - elbow ok...but was he out due to an arm injury?  Yes...so let's get to the real issue that is the basis of the peice.  Nobody wants to confront the 500lb gorilla sitting in the living room.

Like I said, I have no problem with a preview that harps on all the challenges and potential disaster on the horizon. No one should be so naive as to ignore the clear issue that our starting pitching is a major problem. But if someone is going to write a journalistic piece, they should get the details correct and present them well. I'm just saying this guy is sloppy.

Offline vinnysmullet

« Reply #13: February 10, 2007, 11:57:53 PM »
Senators wrote: "You can say it's as sloppy as you want to...but everything he wrote is actually the truth when it comes right down to it.  Forearm - elbow ok...but was he out due to an arm injury?"

I sure hope you're not a surgeon, accountant, teacher, editor, engineer, or anything else that requires accuracy. Your standards are pretty lax.

What is the gorilla to which you refer? I'm not avoiding anything. I just think that if a publication asserts an opinion, it should be backed up by fact, not inaccurate statements and blatantly biased opinions.

I don't think we mentioned the shot at Larry Broadway yet. What was the guy supposed to do--bump off Nick Johnson to get a shot in the bigs?

I'm done, but all in all, the column is a shoddy piece of journalism. Maybe that's why it's called "fantasy baseball."

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #14: February 11, 2007, 12:01:17 AM »
I'm done, but all in all, the column is a shoddy piece of journalism. Maybe that's why it's called "fantasy baseball."
Well I hope you are right my friend.  But I think you're in for quite a surprise come season time.  I'm prepared for reality...and unfortunately if you go OUTSIDE of Washington and stop viewing the Nationals behind rose-colored glasses and the local media...you will find a rather large glass of sobriety waiting for you on the bar.   :)

Offline vinnysmullet

« Reply #15: February 11, 2007, 12:09:47 AM »
I never said I thought we should expect a dazzling season. I believe I referred to it as a building year. There are a lot of uncertainties. I hope we'll find some excellent young talents in the pitching staff, but I have no illusions about being shoo-ins for the playoffs this year.

I'm seeing the same realities as those outside D.C., and I certainly do not view the team through the local media. I go to games (75 of them last season), go to spring training, and read stats. The local media are not a good source of information if you are looking to assess a team's outlook.

Pass the rose-colored specs, please.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #16: February 11, 2007, 12:15:23 AM »
Good post Mullet.  Regardless of what transpires this coming year we'll still be rooting for the Nats and sitting in the so called "bucket of bolts" at RFK.  I know that this is going to be an abysmal season...but that doesn't mean there won't be a lot of exciting things to see.  Young players and prospects trying their damndest to try and earn a spot in the bigs..playing against the best of the best.  Worth the price of admission alone.   8)

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #17: February 11, 2007, 12:10:22 PM »
I'm looking for the errors...what did he say that was in error?

It's not just a question of errors. The writer didn't spend too much time doing research before he wrote his preview. The author writes "they got 10 more games in 2006" when it should read "the lost 10 more games in 2006". He states that Manny Acta was promoted, written in a manner that assumes he was promoted from within, which he was not. He says that Frank Robins was let go, but in fact he "wasn't retained" (in my opinion, there's a difference). He states that much of the roster will return in 2007, that's misleading. There will be a completely (except for Fick) rebuilt bench, at least 2, possibly 3 new pitchers in the rotation and as many in the bullpen, a potentially new CF and LF'er and a new backup catcher. In my book, that adds up to more than half the roster. He's obviously including players who spend short stints in the show as returning regulars. How dumb is that?

From last year's opening day roster, only John Patterson returns to the rotation, Chad Cordero as the closer and Jon Rauch as a reliever, everyone else is gone. Only Schneider returns behind the plate, NJ at first and RZ at 3B, the middle infield will totally different, since neither players was there to start 2006. There will be a 100% new outfield and not only opening day bench player will be back.

Every year RotoWorld's previews are filled with omissions and inaccuracies, this year is no different.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #18: February 11, 2007, 12:13:59 PM »

It's going to take a lot longer than one year to rebuild. To think otherwise is nuts.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #19: February 11, 2007, 12:17:58 PM »
Which amounts to absolutely nothing compared to what they could have gotten for him if they had made a deal - but that arguments a dead horse and I'm not attempting to revive it.

None of us in here were privy to what players were offered in exchange for Soriano, so how can anyone say that the sandwich pick and the Cubs 2nd round pick wont be better than anything that was offered?

Finally moves on to another thread... This was fun...

Offline natsfan7

• I am the Nationals number seventh fan!
« Reply #20: February 11, 2007, 12:33:14 PM »
Good post Mullet.  Regardless of what transpires this coming year we'll still be rooting for the Nats and sitting in the so called "bucket of bolts" at RFK.  I know that this is going to be an abysmal season...but that doesn't mean there won't be a lot of exciting things to see.  Young players and prospects trying their damndest to try and earn a spot in the bigs..playing against the best of the best.  Worth the price of admission alone.   8)
Will you still be saying that as you watch the nats give 6 runs early while your eating a $10 hot dog in a $30 seat while you car is park in the lot for $12. Now I'm trying to be postive about 2007 even though things look bad, but is it too much to ask for minor league prices as we watch a mostly AAA team? Sorry, I'm poor and the price to see a game really scares me, even more now because were looking at alot of long games.

....."Intelligent fans (as many Nats fans are) understand the concept of a building year, understand the reasons for it, and can deal with it without bitterness.".....dose that mean I'm stupid????? I'm gonna tell my mommy you made fun of me *Crys in corner*

Offline natsfan7

• I am the Nationals number seventh fan!
« Reply #21: February 11, 2007, 12:37:34 PM »
None of us in here were privy to what players were offered in exchange for Soriano

OOHHH!!! Pick me, I know!?!?! We were offered A-rod, Pujols and Ryan Howard with a choice betweem Zito or Roger Clemens.....

I guess that settles that.....I knew we should of traded him, with those guys we could be atleast a .500 team....I mean were talkin playoffs........oh well, life goes on.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #22: February 11, 2007, 12:59:19 PM »
Yeah. That was a pretty crappy article. Shoddy operation. 

I like how people harp on the fact that the nats had two last place finishes. OK, its correct, but they were .500 that year.  Its just a matter of reporting what you want to fit what you want to say.   Yes, they finished last, but they were eliminated after other teams were. I know at least the mets were out of it before them.  They just won more games in garbage time

Offline vinnysmullet

« Reply #23: February 11, 2007, 01:12:37 PM »
Will you still be saying that as you watch the nats give 6 runs early while your eating a $10 hot dog in a $30 seat while you car is park in the lot for $12.

Hot dog = $0 (food brought in)
Seat = $45
Parking = $0 (walk to games)
Chance to watch a Washington baseball team develop = PRICELESS

Yeah, we may have some rough seasons ahead of us, but I have confidence in our ownership and management--and a lot of the guys already on the team. We'll get there. And in the meantime, I won't grouse. MLB hamstrung us, and it'll take a while to rebuild and recover. But just as we showed in the first half of 2005 and in our series with the Yankees in '06, we're the little team that could. We'll get there eventually.

Until then, bring your food into the stadtium, and buy a cheaper ticket. They're still good.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #24: February 11, 2007, 01:50:15 PM »
None of us in here were privy to what players were offered in exchange for Soriano, so how can anyone say that the sandwich pick and the Cubs 2nd round pick wont be better than anything that was offered?

Finally moves on to another thread... This was fun...

My thoughts exactly.